Saturday, April 14, 2018

Hot off the Design Wall

So those bright blocks on my design wall that were peeking out from behind the top quilt in my last post got put together, quilted and bound in record time.   I presented this quilt at NCQC (Northern California Quilt Council) at the April "Meet the Teachers" meeting.  The meeting is a chance for Teachers from all over Northern California to bring their samples to display.  Likewise Program people from guilds come from all over N. Cal to "Meet the Teachers" to see if they want to hire them for their Guild Programs.  I really wanted to get this Sampler quilt finished so I could pitch my new class "Free Form Curved piecing".  See earlier post here.

I'm really liking this technique!  It's so much fun and quick and easy!!!  Some of these blocks were made in Jan. when I did a demo. of the Free Form method at the NCQC Jan. meeting  and some of those blocks are in this quilt.  But in order to have enough blocks for this Sampler I had to make quite a few more blocks and I just whipped them right up 'cause this method is so easy.  No Templates, no rulers (except for squaring up and sashing).  It's just so much fun  I keep wanting to figure out how to make different blocks!
I quilted it all Free Hand so the quilting is a bit wonky and at first I was thinking it was going to be terrible but when I was finished (and stood back a few steps)  I thought it looked OK.  It kind of matched the Free Form of the piecing?!
Well anyway it's done and I was able to take it to the meeting and introduce my new Class idea!
Here are some other examples where I applied this technique.

I think I'd like to make a whole quilt out of blocks like this!
Well enough writing,  Time to go sew!!
Happy weekend!
Cheers, CW

Sunday, April 8, 2018

My Design Wall, I had to Laugh!

So!  I went to take a pic of the quilt in the middle of this photo thinking that I would simply crop out all the other projects, but when I went to look at it on my computer I had to laugh at all the layers of production that were going on.  Rather like an archeological dig through my sewing behavior.

On top is the Finished quilt that I intended to show.

The bright blocks peeking around the edges on the sides of the central quilt are some sampler blocks I've been working on intermittently while finishing the central project.  I posted something about this back in Jan.  I hope to finish this soon....

Then the borders for my Flannel project which I have not moved for fear I would abandon the project as soon as it was out of sight because I have taken on the daunting task (for me anyway) of Appliquéing these borders.  What was I thinking?!

And finally on the top and to the right are some mostly solid squares for a modern quilt design that I have mostly lost interest in but I think if I keep it in my sight I will eventually get it together.....
Well I suppose I should simply celebrate the finishes that I do Finish!
I used a very simple squiggly line to quilt this piece and I backed it with a nice soft cotton stretch knit.  Here's a good example of Keeping The Quilting Simple.  You can hardly see the quilting on the printed fabrics (it runs along the seam lines).  Doing any fancy quilting would be a waste of time.
Well it may not be the most efficient system in the world but it works for me.
Are you wondering how I keep everything stuck onto the wall?
I have a big piece of white flannel hemmed and then thumb tacked every 8" or so at the very top of the wall.
Single layers of fabric will cling to the flannel simply through Static forces but if I want to attach something heavier, like the quilt in the center I simply pin it on.
I know some people like having some cork board or something behind the flannel but I find the simple flannel back provides more flexibility.
I feel very fortunate to have the space and resources to leave things in view.
It helps me keep track and stayed focused (more less).  Oh stop laughing, OSL!
Have a great week!
Cheers, CW

Monday, April 2, 2018

Revisiting an old BOM and More Flannel Progress

I bought a small scrap bag of Moda strips from Green Fairy recently.  They turned out to be a coordinated set of bright prints.  It just seemed perfect for a technique I used in a BOM that I published back in August 2016.

This is a great scrap buster and great for charitable quilts.  A lot of bang for your sewing time!
I also managed to get another vine sewn for my Flannel quilt.
I hope to get the other 2 sides sewn soon so I can get started on filling in all the spaces...the fun part!
Have a great week!
cheers, CW