Saturday, March 11, 2017

March 2017 PVQA BOM

Exploring the Self Portrait..." Where in the Heck did I leave my Sunglasses?"

Have you ever spent 20 min. looking for your sunglasses when they were right on your head?!

The inspiration for this BOM was a group of caricatures from this book:

My local guild is doing a program based on the work and humor of Jean Ray Laury.  It seemed fitting to pick a project from one of her books.  I thought that I would use one of Jean's face patterns but then my friend Jan sent me a link to funny faces on pinterest and that really got my creative ideas going...  

here's the link:https://www.pinterest.com/search/pins/?q=funny%20quilt%20faces&rs=typed&term_meta[]=funny%7Ctyped&term_meta[]=quilt%7Ctyped&term_meta[]=faces%7Ctyped

Check it out...thousands of ideas, your imagination will run wild!

I discovered that caricature, no matter how you approach it,  can be a lot of fun!  

Here's a challenge! How would you characterize yourself in a humorous way?  

Here are the instructions I included for my guild:


PVQA MARCH 2017 BOM-  Tribute to Jean Ray Laury- Portrait                               10” unfinished

USE THESE IDEAS TO MAKE A PORTRAIT      

You may make any kind of portrait you wish.  Self portrait, abstract/ Picasso or use one of Jean’s designs; whatever tickles your fancy.  If you want other ideas the web is a great place to start.  Visit Pinterest “funny quilts”.  I got a lot of ideas for my self- portrait from that page. 

Use any combination of applique and embroidery techniques with cloth that you need to get the effect that you want. (no puff paints please).  For example:  I used a black sharpie marker to draw in the pupils on my portrait.  It was the easiest way to get the look I wanted. (no pun intended!)  For applique I used a glue stick and narrow zigzag to sew everything down and for details I used my embroidery foot and just doodled. Since my background was darker than my face fabric I cut 2 layers of face fabric, glued the 2 layers to each other and then glued it down to the background.  The whole project took me about 2 hours.  It does not have to be complicated!  HAVE FUN!

Sew a ¼ inch Stay Stitch around the edge of your background block to help keep it from 
fraying and keep it square.

Here's some more inspiration: 



 



3 comments:

  1. "Where did I leave my glasses" must be my most over-used phrase! I like the idea of portraits - something fresh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a fun project! I will be checking out that Pinterest page.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea for a guild challenge! Very tempting...

    ReplyDelete